About the Hall
The Community Hall was built as the United Free Church to the design of JD Cairns in 1908 . It was built on the site of a previous, smaller United Free church, following a union with Crail West Church (now Holy Trinity Catholic Church). It is a typical Free Presbyterian Church building dating from the Edwardian period. Like many churches of this period, it used a style derived from Scottish precedents but also fitted in with the preference for late Gothic, often labelled Perpendicular, across Britain generally.
The church had a typical Presbyterian plan. The emphasis on preaching produced a wide and relatively short central main vessel to the church. There are shallow transepts to either side to create more space to either side of the pulpit.
There is a short chancel which is now used as a stage and would have been the sanctuary containing the communion table and chairs for elders. To the east is a church hall which is integrated into the design of the remainder of the building. The internal design of the space that was originally the church is particularly attractive. A quality is given to the space by its expressive roof form with the underside of the main trusses forming curves articulating the bays of the church. This arrangement is linked with the pairs of arches into the transepts. At the western end of the church is the original gallery.
It is listed Category B. Externally the main feature is the octagonal tower which forms a minor landmark in the northern part of Crail on the A917 St Andrews Road.